Friday, June 22, 2007

Friday in Murang'a

Today has been such an awesome day. I know you love pictures but it takes long long to upload each one (about 5 minutes) that today I decided to just write you.
We started out today meeting a new pastor from Nairobi. He wrote into the website this week saying he wanted to know more about the ministry and to invite us to come to Kenya. I emailed him back and invited him to the meetings. He was a blessing and we blessed by the Word delivered today.
Pastor Carl started the service today at the church. He shared his testimony and encouraged the people saying that people in every country share the same hurts and struggles. Many came forth in the alter call for people suffering abuse or addictions. There were men and women, young and old. It was an awesome time. I felt such a peace come over the service. I have never felt peace come in in such a tangible way before. You could literally feel turmoil and struggle leave. God is such a miraculous healer. Freedom from abuse and addiction is not something these people have heard before.
We may sometimes wonder why God would want us to come all the way from North Carolina to minister to these people. To see one person leave the service free and with their broken heart mended answers the question why. Many could come but perhaps many don't come.
How blessed we are that Blessed Hope Ministries was entrusted with this assignment.
Your prayers in the US are so important. Not just for safety and provision but for the chains that have held these people to be broken. This is a prayer that can go on even after we are home. We think about leaving these people that I have fallen in love with. We are reminded that even when we are gone they are watched over by God and He sings over them. We are also reminded that He has begun this good work and He will be faithful to complete it.
The people here live a hard life by our standards but their praise and worship to God is extravagant. Our heart is not to make their life like ours but to make their life the life God would have them live.
We were told today that the companies look for graduates from this remote area we are in for employees because these school turn out very educated children. While the kids in the larger cities go home to playstations and tvs, these kids only have their books, their school, their church, and their community.
They work together in many things they do. They are building new road and you should see all the hard work they put in each day. If one family needs to plow and area for a crop, they community all comes with their hoes to till the ground.
Well, I could write all night but I should go to bed. I pray that this will paint a picture in your mind with words. Each of you are truly a blessing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know it is awesome and can't wait til next year!!! Love ya'll

Anonymous said...

Teresa, Thanks for all your hard work on Blessed Hope's web site and now on this blog keeping us posted. It has been such a blessing to see the pictures and read about your love for these people. I know you would just stay there if you could. We could fly Hannah & Christian over. I'm praying for you all, miss you. Love, Sheri R.

Anonymous said...

That is so wonderful the lives that are being changed. We know God does not love any of us more than another because he created us all to be in his image. Isn't it amazing what hope can do for ones life. Once you have hope you can start to have faith. I am starting to realize the importance of a testomony, it creates hope which leads to faith. I have learned so much since I have been going to Blessed Hope and even though I'm not perfect I can see my changes and others can to. I thank God that I got to know each and everyone one of you and have been prayong for the answer from God about joing. Since the pastor has been gone I have been having dreams of him redirecting me and him welcoming me into the church. I just have to make sure it's what God wants before I join. I believe it is a blessing the way the people in Africa come together for things we would consider small in the U.S. This is the way the church is suppose to be towards one another. I can't wait until the day I can be a part of a covering the way God sees fit. I will continue to pray for eyes, heart, and minds to be opened in Africa and for you all to learn as well so you can open our horizons with new knowledge and concerns. I love you all. Teoka Bowden

Hope said...

Heb. 10:24 let us consider one another........."If one family needs to plow and area for a crop, they community all comes with their hoes to till the ground."

Wow, how incredibly humbling. They are living epistles. Perhaps they need to come to America and minister to us. ;.)
Hope